The NYS Kinship Navigator is a statewide information and referral system for grandparents and other relatives raising another family member’s child. The information and referral system is accessible via a statewide toll free telephone line and an interactive website.
As part of this system, the program educates caregivers on kinship issues (including legal, financial, educational, etc.), and refers caregivers to local resources (including legal, financial, educational, health/mental health, support groups, etc.).
Although direct case management services are not provided, they are made available through the referral source.
For complex legal issues, the callers will be linked with an attorney, who will offer legal information by phone.
NYS Navigator is accessed through the toll free number ((877) 454-6463) or the website www.nysnavigator.org.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Any caregiver who is raising another relative’s child under the age of 21. No income restrictions.
PROGRAM LOCATIONS: 30 N. Clinton Avenue, Rochester, NY 14604
For more information on this program, please call the NYS Kinship Navigator at (877) 454-6463.
- State Office for the Aging website for contacts - http://aging.state.ny.us/findhelp/lofa.htm
- NYS Senior Citizens' Hot Line 1-800-342-9871
- Nationwide ElderCare Locator - http://aging.state.ny.us - (800) 677-1116.
- Parent's Again - http://www.parentsagain.com
- Catholic Charities USA Workshop Presentation on Family Strengthening (September 27, 2008)